02 October 2009

"This Is Your Life, Are You Who You Want To Be?"

There's been a recurring theme in my life over the last weeks, as there often is, that is rather simple, but complicated simultaneously. This paradox may or may not be familiar to you, although if you work in entertainment it's something we tend to ignore for the most part. So, what is this theme? "Are you living your life?"

You may think that a very basic concept, but most people with involved careers overlook this all the time. In my life, I'll find myself out at dinner or at a bar (not on business) and what's the topic? Work, gear, complaining, whining, bitching...after 10 years of this, I'm over it. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty much the worst offender of this, but it doesn't help that everyone else does it too. I'm all about sharing war stories, but as with most things there's a time and a place. It's so much harder to do this appropriately than you think. I don't know many who can differentiate when to steer conversation to and away from work, but I'm trying to teach myself that there's infinitely more to talk about than the thing that ties us all together.

Go out and live your lives, my friends, because I suppose the main moral of this premise is: "life's too short, live your life, it'll be gone soon..."

[kyle]

No comments: