23 July 2009

"Truth" In Advertising

Let me keep this short and sweet: Even though I quit smoking over seven months ago (for the love of my life), it's really annoying to have to watch these ads by "truth". There are at least three things that I can think of literally off the top of my head that are not meant to be consumed by the human body that people use to feel better, and some of those items run positive ads for their products! Allow me now to review for you, the reader, what I think is ridiculous about this dichotomy that I'm going to call "truth in advertising".

1) Coffee

No BODY on the planet earth should ever consume this much caffeine ever! It's un-natural to keep the body awake against it's will, yet we all (yes, myself included by other means) are guilty of the "pleasure" of being able to command our bodies to stay up until the minute we allow ourselves the nap that we call "nighttime". Not only is this consumable the most common commodity of our generation, but it's celebrated amongst the artists, business class, and poets alike! People actually sit, pontificate, and discuss how bad certain things are in the world whilst they choke down that swill harvested [most likely] by some Columbian drug lord's 500th, illegitimate child.

2) Fast Food

The only thing fast about "fast food" is that it makes you large fast. No need to list the companies that should be (and sometimes are for other frivolous reasons) on trial for presenting this "gift" to America and the other countries of the world, because we all know that one "restaurant" of guiltiness that we frequent when we just don't have the time. The biggest problem that I have with fast food companies of the millennium, is that they have now ruined what used to be a moderate pleasure and have bastardized the good and quality with a "healthy" salad that comes in a plastic cup or a "cheeseburger" that's been processed as much as a Lady Gaga tune. We shouldn't be getting off our asses to give our money and our artery space to these jackass companies that have no other obligation than it's stockholders.

3) Cigarettes

One of the best-known "bad things" and we're trying to extinguish it like it's global warming. I know, I know "my [insert important relative here] died a horrid death from lung cancer and I just don't think anyone should smoke". Listen, I have a lot of sympathy for people who lost relatives from their stupid decisions, but that doesn't mean you should legislate to control other people's bad habits anymore than we should be dictating what people do sexually. Everyone keeps complaining that our law-makers are wasting OUR money by debating stupid "issues" and yet, we, as a people, actually want our representatives to try to make laws to make smoking in public illegal, smoking in private illegal, charging 300 dollars a pack to kill yourself slowly. Don't get me wrong, it is MOST definitely bad for you, but if you as an American want to kill yourself or get emphysema or get lung cancer...by all means, I'll support that.

Well, so much for keeping this short and sweet, but it is really annoying to see a "truth ad", paired with a McDonald's commercial, followed by a Starbucks ad. Stop it. Beyond being annoying and frustrating it's a huge waste of time and money. Truth people: give your money to the homeless and starving.

[kyle]

2 comments:

Marcos said...

Smoking... Shouldn't be in public places as you are hurting non-smoking people. Banning it in private? Silly.

Bradford Benn said...

I agree with quite a few, except I have a weakness and affiliattion for Starbucks. Now before you go off on me for that. I agree with the fast "food" problem.

I started eating healthier, much healthier, last year. I went whole food vegan last year, the reason I say whole food is that Oreos can be considered vegan, but that does not mean that they are healthy.

The reason, I read a book called The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health it is very eye opening about the way that people look at food. I can tell you that traveling it can be quite tough to find food - good luck at a Wendy's I haven't found a thing yet. However at a Starbucks I can almost always find something.

They usually have fruit, I can get a real tea or coffee - with soy. I can even get a whole grain bagel. Not everything that they offer is as "whole" or healthy as I would like but definitely more whole than McFastFud. And they are trying to find even more "Real Food". Heck at my local one, where they know me by name and diet habits, they even tell me what I can't have when they come up with new stuff.

The bigger challenge is when people get the "High Fructose All Dairy Coffee Shake with a Fruit Syrup" and a side of Cookies. Also the economy is not making it any better as many people are getting food by price not by health content.