19 June 2009

Turn The Page...

I feel this chapter coming to an end. These nightshifts seemed to have taken their toll for this season and I feel a day shift or three coming on. This has by no means shortened my shifts, it just means they should appear at "regular people's hours"...or so we hope. It's times like these that require some introspection on my part. I just feel the need to look closer inside and figure out what I need to work on next. They're good starting points for personal, pet projects. "What don't I like about myself that I can work on currently?" It's not a bad question and shouldn't be viewed as self-deprecating. It should be viewed as self-improvement. This isn't narcissism or pride, it's a sort of internal personality maintenance that I think everyone should be doing from time to time if you plan on being a better person tomorrow.

Kind of along those lines is this thing that Mraz posted on his blog recently about the "Humanifesto"...pretty amazing stuff and an interesting concept to say the least. I feel that a lot of people are targeting different angles to the problems we're having and this is a (albeit atheistic) but productive vantage. They say that in basic, "Make eye contact with anyone you interact with. Smiling is optional but highly encouraged. Use the words 'Please' and 'Thank You' as often as you can. Seek out ways to improve the lives of others. This can be as small as carrying someones bag up a flight of stairs, or holding a door open." I'm not going to lie, it's a great place to start and a helluva lot better place than most people are starting in. Shoot, it's a START people!

Just a couple little thoughts on this extra long night brought to you by Honda...

Look closely. Live openly. Embrace today don't just seize it.

[kyle]

No comments: